The school was totally new so it was gorgeous and clean, but the students were a bit...immature, to say the least. I guess we'd just forgotten how high school students can be like. Then afterwards, we ate some "authentic Spanish food" in their cafeteria, which, I have some reservations about.
First of all, they Spanish really like their food very mushy, and I'm not sure why. They think this is "riquiissimmo" (delicious) and honestly, it's just a bit overcooked...and has some funky smells sometimes, but I'm probably just spoiled with the aromas of Indian food. Also, there tends to be this "surprise" chunk of hardboiled egg in some dishes...it's totally unexpected and I don't quite understand it, lol. Lastly, sometimes, the meat looks like it was just cut off the animal's bones, cooked, and served on a plate. No spices or sauces or anything! But some food is definitely tastier, especially the dessert and fresh squeezed orange juice.
After a very filling lunch, we went on an adventure to a little pueblo outside of Talavera, I think called Ospera (?), to see a picturesque castle and walk around. This area is just soooo calm and noiseless and beautiful, it's completely different than Madrid. I mean, it might be a bit too rural for me because sometimes I would feel a bit...stuck? It's not easily accessible and although there are a few stores, I'm sure it's very difficult to aquire ALL your necessities...and there's no "Corte Inglés" (the Super Walmart of Spain) either. But what is really strange is that I can envision a lot of people would love to enjoy their last days in a little town like this.
Which reminds me of the book we're reading right now (Palmar; I think this was the point!), La Lluvia Amarilla by Julio Llamazares. It's a beautiful poetic memoria about the last survivor of a pueblo in Spain. I'm pretty sure that every paragraph almost sent me to tears. Not in a bad way but in a really prophetic, realization about being alone and having to die someday, kind of way. That sounded really depressing, and although it is, it's definitely worth a read, kind of like a slap in the face of sorts. Or rather, a "gentle breeze brushing across your cheeks", to keep in synch with the book :). Find a translated version if you can!
More pictures are up on the link and I'll try to post them here too! Keep the comments coming!
Love,
Jojo

3 comments:
Random egg?
Ewww.
Lol
You should go to someplace that serves Indian food and see if it is at all the same.
Haha
I want to do that pretty badly! But now that I've taught my host mother to cook Indian food, I get a taste of it pretty regularly in my house (sin egg!). Maybe in a couple weeks, when I get an Indian food craving, I will totally splurge, hehe.
oh my gosh. you're reading that book?! i read it this summer... are you meeting the author because i absolutely loved it. i found it at my camp and just decided to read it... CRAZY!!
and you don't like the eggs in everythng? riquisimos!! i miss it all, ahhh i want to be there right now.
-Kelsey
Post a Comment